Dhruva Jaishankar is Director of the U.S. Initiative at the New Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation (ORF). He is also a Non-Resident Fellow with the Lowy Institute in Australia, and is a regular contributor to the Indian and international media. He has written extensively on India-U.S. relations, India in the Indo-Pacific, defence and security, India-Europe relations, and the impact of technology on international politics, among other issues.
Jaishankar was previously a Fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at Brookings India in New Delhi and the Brookings Institution in Washington DC from 2016 to 2019. Prior to that, he was a Transatlantic Fellow with the German Marshall Fund (GMF) in Washington DC from 2012 until 2016, where he managed the India Trilateral Forum, a regular policy dialogue involving participants from India, Europe, and the United States. From 2009 to 2012, he was programme officer for Asia with GMF. He also worked as a research assistant at the Brookings Institution in Washington and as a news writer and reporter for CNN-IBN television in New Delhi. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Fellow with the South Asia Programme of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Jaishankar holds a bachelor's degree in history and classics from Macalester College, and a master's degree in security studies from Georgetown University. He has been a David Rockefeller Fellow with the Trilateral Commission and an IISS-SAIS Merrill Center Young Strategist.
- "The Indigenisation of India's Defence Industry," Impact Series, Brookings India, August 2019.
- "Survey of India's Strategic Community," Impact Series, Brookings India, March 2019.
- "India and the United States in the Trump Era: Re-evaluating Bilateral and Global Relations," Policy Paper No. 37, Foreign Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution, June 2017.
- "Internet Freedom 2.1," The German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2015.
- “Look East to Act East,” in Dhruv C. Katoch ed., India’s Foreign Policy: Towards Resurgence (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019)
- "Maritime Connectivity and Security in the Indo-Pacific," in Lalit Mansingh, Anup K. Mudgal, and Udai Bhanu Singh eds., Purbasa East meets East - Synergising the North-East and Eastern India with the Indo-Pacific (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019).
- "India as an Asian Power," in Vinod Rai and Amitendu Palit eds., Seven Decades of Independent India: Ideas and Reflections (Gurgaon: Penguin India, 2018)
- "A Confluence of Two Strategies: The Japan–India Security Partnership in the Indo-Pacific," in Rajesh Basrur and Sumitha Narayanan Kutty eds., India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (Singapore: Palgrave Pivot, 2018).
- “India and Germany: Realizing Strategic Convergence,” in Gurjit Singh, ed., Opportunity Beckons: Adding Momentum to the Indo-German Partnership (New Delhi: Rupa, 2017)
- "Indian Strategy in a Non-Strategic Age," in Atul K Thakur ed., India Now And in Transition, (New Delhi: Niyogi Books, 2017)
- “Europe in Indian Strategy,” in Krishnappa Vekatshamy and Princy George, Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and Beyond (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2012)
- "Chronicle of a Deal Foretold: Washington's Perspective on Negotiating the Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement," in P.R. Chari ed., Indo-U.S. Nuclear Deal: Seeking Synergy in Bilateralism (New Delhi: Routledge, 2009).
- "India 2024: Policy Priorities for a New Government," Brookings India, 2019
- "India-U.S. Relations in Transition," Brookings India, 2016
- "A Transatlantic Pakistan Policy," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2014
- "China and India: New Actors in the Southern Atlantic," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2012.
- "Deepening Democracy through Diversity: Improving Coordination with India and Non-Western Democracies," Democracy and Disorder Series, Brookings Institution, 2019
- "India Rising: Soft Power and the World's Largest Democracy," in Soft Power 30, 2018
- "The United States and India: Forging an Indespensible Democratic Partnership," Center for American Progress, 2018
- "Survey on America's Role in the Indo-Pacific," Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Uneasy Triangle: India's Evolving Relations with the United States and China," in Realising the Indo-Pacific: Tasks for India's Regional Integration, Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Indian Ocean Region: A Pivot for India's Growth," Indian Ocean Conference, 2016
- "India's Military Diplomacy," in Defence Primer: India at 75, Observer Research Foundation, 2016
- "India & South Korea: The Promise of Partnership," Korea Economic Institute, 2012