Dhruva Jaishankar has been Director of the U.S. Initiative at the New Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation (ORF) since 2019. He is also a Non-Resident Fellow with the Lowy Institute in Australia and is a regular contributor to the media, presently writing a monthly column for the Hindustan Times.
Jaishankar was previously a Fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at Brookings India in New Delhi and the Brookings Institution in Washington DC from 2016 to 2019. At Brookings India, he managed foreign and security policy programmes and conducted research on India's role in the Indo-Pacific, defence indigenization, and India-U.S. relations. From 2012 to 2016, he was a Transatlantic Fellow with the German Marshall Fund (GMF) in Washington DC, where he managed the India Trilateral Forum - a regular policy dialogue involving participants from India, Europe, and the United States - and researched the implications of digital technologies in developing democracies. From 2009 to 2012, he was programme officer with GMF, where he coordinated the institution's Asia Program. Before that, he worked as a research assistant at the Brookings Institution in Washington and as a news writer and reporter for CNN-IBN television in New Delhi. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Fellow at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, where he researched India-Japan security relations.
Jaishankar holds a bachelor's degree in history and classics from Macalester College, and a master's degree in security studies from Georgetown University. He has been an IISS-SAIS Merrill Center Young Strategist (2013), a participant in the ORF-Zeit Stiftung Asian Forum on Global Governance (2016), and a David Rockefeller Fellow with the Trilateral Commission (2017-2020).
His commentary has appeared in Indian and international publications, including in print in The Globe & Mail, The Hindu, Indian Express, India Today, Politico, The Straits Times, and The Times of India and online for The Atlantic, BBC World, Foreign Policy, Lawfare, The New York Times, Project Syndicate, U.S. News & World Report, War on the Rocks, and The Washington Post. He has also been interviewed or cited by Bloomberg, CNN International, The Economist, The Financial Times, National Public Radio, Time, and The Wall Street Journal.
- "Acting East: India in the Indo-Pacific," Impact Series, Brookings India, October 2019.
- "The Indigenisation of India's Defence Industry," Impact Series, Brookings India, August 2019.
- "Survey of India's Strategic Community," Impact Series, Brookings India, March 2019.
- "India and the United States in the Trump Era: Re-evaluating Bilateral and Global Relations," Policy Paper No. 37, Foreign Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution, June 2017.
- "Internet Freedom 2.1," The German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2015.
- “Look East to Act East,” in Dhruv C. Katoch ed., India’s Foreign Policy: Towards Resurgence (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019)
- "Maritime Connectivity and Security in the Indo-Pacific," in Lalit Mansingh, Anup K. Mudgal, and Udai Bhanu Singh eds., Purbasa East meets East - Synergising the North-East and Eastern India with the Indo-Pacific (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019).
- "India as an Asian Power," in Vinod Rai and Amitendu Palit eds., Seven Decades of Independent India: Ideas and Reflections (Gurgaon: Penguin India, 2018)
- "A Confluence of Two Strategies: The Japan–India Security Partnership in the Indo-Pacific," in Rajesh Basrur and Sumitha Narayanan Kutty eds., India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (Singapore: Palgrave Pivot, 2018).
- “India and Germany: Realizing Strategic Convergence,” in Gurjit Singh, ed., Opportunity Beckons: Adding Momentum to the Indo-German Partnership (New Delhi: Rupa, 2017)
- "Indian Strategy in a Non-Strategic Age," in Atul K Thakur ed., India Now And in Transition, (New Delhi: Niyogi Books, 2017)
- “Europe in Indian Strategy,” in Krishnappa Vekatshamy and Princy George, Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and Beyond (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2012)
- "Chronicle of a Deal Foretold: Washington's Perspective on Negotiating the Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement," in P.R. Chari ed., Indo-U.S. Nuclear Deal: Seeking Synergy in Bilateralism (New Delhi: Routledge, 2009).
- "India 2024: Policy Priorities for a New Government," Brookings India, 2019
- "India-U.S. Relations in Transition," Brookings India, 2016
- "A Transatlantic Pakistan Policy," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2014
- "China and India: New Actors in the Southern Atlantic," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2012.
- "Perspectives on a Changing World Order," Discussion Paper Series on Managing Global Disorder No. 1, Council on Foreign Relations, June 2020.
- "Deepening Democracy through Diversity: Improving Coordination with India and Non-Western Democracies," Democracy and Disorder Series, Brookings Institution, 2019
- "India Rising: Soft Power and the World's Largest Democracy," in Soft Power 30, 2018
- "The United States and India: Forging an Indespensible Democratic Partnership," Center for American Progress, 2018
- "Survey on America's Role in the Indo-Pacific," Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Uneasy Triangle: India's Evolving Relations with the United States and China," in Realising the Indo-Pacific: Tasks for India's Regional Integration, Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Indian Ocean Region: A Pivot for India's Growth," Indian Ocean Conference, 2016
- "India's Military Diplomacy," in Defence Primer: India at 75, Observer Research Foundation, 2016
- "India & South Korea: The Promise of Partnership," Korea Economic Institute, 2012