Dhruva Jaishankar is Fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at Brookings India in New Delhi and the Brookings Institution in Washington DC. He is also a Non-Resident Fellow with the Lowy Institute in Australia, and is a regular contributor to the Indian and international media on international affairs and security. His research examines India’s role in the international system and the effects of global developments on India’s politics, economics, and society, with a particular focus on India’s relations with the United States, the Indo-Pacific, and Europe.
Jaishankar was previously a Transatlantic Fellow with the German Marshall Fund (GMF) in Washington DC from 2012 until 2016, where he managed the India Trilateral Forum, a regular policy dialogue involving participants from India, Europe, and the United States. From 2009 to 2012, he was programme officer for Asia with GMF. Prior to that, he worked as a research assistant at the Brookings Institution in Washington and as a news writer and reporter for CNN-IBN television in New Delhi. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Fellow with the South Asia Programme of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Jaishankar holds a bachelor's degree in history and classics from Macalester College, and a master's degree in security studies from Georgetown University. He has been a David Rockefeller Fellow with the Trilateral Commission and an IISS-SAIS Merrill Center Young Strategist. A native of New Delhi, Jaishankar has lived and studied in India, the United States, Japan, Sri Lanka, and Eastern Europe.
- "Survey of India's Strategic Community," Brookings India, March 2019.
- "A Confluence of Two Strategies: The Japan–India Security Partnership in the Indo-Pacific," in Rajesh Basrur and Sumitha Narayanan Kutty eds., India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (Singapore: Palgrave Pivot, 2018).
- "India and the United States in the Trump Era: Re-evaluating Bilateral and Global Relations," Policy Paper No. 37, Foreign Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution, June 2017.
- "Internet Freedom 2.1," The German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2015.
- "Resilience and the Future Balance of Power," Survival, Vol. 56, Issue 3, 2014.
- "Chronicle of a Deal Foretold: Washington's Perspective on Negotiating the Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement," in P.R. Chari ed., Indo-U.S. Nuclear Deal: Seeking Synergy in Bilateralism (New Delhi: Routledge, 2009).
- “Look East to Act East,” in Dhruv C. Katoch ed., India’s Foreign Policy: Towards Resurgence (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019)
- "Maritime Connectivity and Security in the Indo-Pacific," in Lalit Mansingh, Anup K. Mudgal, and Udai Bhanu Singh eds., Purbasa East meets East - Synergising the North-East and Eastern India with the Indo-Pacific (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019).
- "India as an Asian Power," in Vinod Rai and Amitendu Palit eds., Seven Decades of Independent India: Ideas and Reflections (Gurgaon: Penguin India, 2018)
- “India and Germany: Realizing Strategic Convergence,” in Gurjit Singh, ed., Opportunity Beckons: Adding Momentum to the Indo-German Partnership (New Delhi: Rupa, 2017)
- "Indian Strategy in a Non-Strategic Age," in Atul K Thakur ed., India Now And in Transition, (New Delhi: Niyogi Books, 2017)
- “Europe in Indian Strategy,” in Krishnappa Vekatshamy and Princy George, Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and Beyond (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2012)
- "India 2024: Policy Priorities for a New Government," Brookings India, 2019
- "India-U.S. Relations in Transition," Brookings India, 2016
- "A Transatlantic Pakistan Policy," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2014
- "China and India: New Actors in the Southern Atlantic," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2012.
- "Deepening Democracy through Diversity: Improving Coordination with India and Non-Western Democracies," Democracy and Disorder Series, Brookings Institution, 2019
- "The New India Policy," Seminar, No. 715, 2019
- "India Rising: Soft Power and the World's Largest Democracy," in Soft Power 30, 2018
- "The United States and India: Forging an Indespensible Democratic Partnership," Center for American Progress, 2018
- "Survey on America's Role in the Indo-Pacific," Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Uneasy Triangle: India's Evolving Relations with the United States and China," in Realising the Indo-Pacific: Tasks for India's Regional Integration, Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Indian Ocean Region: A Pivot for India's Growth," Indian Ocean Conference, 2016
- "India's Military Diplomacy," in Defence Primer: India at 75, Observer Research Foundation, 2016
- "India & South Korea: The Promise of Partnership," Korea Economic Institute, 2012