Dhruva Jaishankar is Director of the U.S. Initiative at the New Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation (ORF). He is also a Non-Resident Fellow with the Lowy Institute in Australia and is a regular contributor to the Indian and international media, presently writing a monthly column for the Hindustan Times.
Jaishankar was previously a Fellow in Foreign Policy Studies at Brookings India in New Delhi and the Brookings Institution in Washington DC from 2016 to 2019. At Brookings India, he managed foreign and security policy programmes and conducted research on India's role in the Indo-Pacific, defence indigenization, and India-U.S. relations, among other topics. From 2012 to 2016, he was a Transatlantic Fellow with the German Marshall Fund (GMF) in Washington DC, where he managed the India Trilateral Forum - a regular policy dialogue involving participants from India, Europe, and the United States - and researched the implications of digital technologies in developing democracies. From 2009 to 2012, he was programme officer with GMF, where he coordinated the institution's Asia Program. Before that, he worked as a research assistant at the Brookings Institution in Washington and as a news writer and reporter for CNN-IBN television in New Delhi. In 2015-2016, he was a Visiting Fellow with the South Asia Programme of the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Jaishankar holds a bachelor's degree in history and classics from Macalester College, and a master's degree in security studies from Georgetown University. He has been a David Rockefeller Fellow with the Trilateral Commission (2017-2020), an IISS-SAIS Merrill Center Young Strategist (2013), and a participant in the ORF-Zeit Stiftung Asian Forum on Global Governance (AFGG) (2016).
- "Acting East: India in the Indo-Pacific," Impact Series, Brookings India, Brookings India, October 2019.
- "The Indigenisation of India's Defence Industry," Impact Series, Brookings India, August 2019.
- "Survey of India's Strategic Community," Impact Series, Brookings India, March 2019.
- "India and the United States in the Trump Era: Re-evaluating Bilateral and Global Relations," Policy Paper No. 37, Foreign Policy Studies, The Brookings Institution, June 2017.
- "Internet Freedom 2.1," The German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2015.
- “Look East to Act East,” in Dhruv C. Katoch ed., India’s Foreign Policy: Towards Resurgence (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019)
- "Maritime Connectivity and Security in the Indo-Pacific," in Lalit Mansingh, Anup K. Mudgal, and Udai Bhanu Singh eds., Purbasa East meets East - Synergising the North-East and Eastern India with the Indo-Pacific (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019).
- "India as an Asian Power," in Vinod Rai and Amitendu Palit eds., Seven Decades of Independent India: Ideas and Reflections (Gurgaon: Penguin India, 2018)
- "A Confluence of Two Strategies: The Japan–India Security Partnership in the Indo-Pacific," in Rajesh Basrur and Sumitha Narayanan Kutty eds., India and Japan: Assessing the Strategic Partnership (Singapore: Palgrave Pivot, 2018).
- “India and Germany: Realizing Strategic Convergence,” in Gurjit Singh, ed., Opportunity Beckons: Adding Momentum to the Indo-German Partnership (New Delhi: Rupa, 2017)
- "Indian Strategy in a Non-Strategic Age," in Atul K Thakur ed., India Now And in Transition, (New Delhi: Niyogi Books, 2017)
- “Europe in Indian Strategy,” in Krishnappa Vekatshamy and Princy George, Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and Beyond (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2012)
- "Chronicle of a Deal Foretold: Washington's Perspective on Negotiating the Indo-U.S. Nuclear Agreement," in P.R. Chari ed., Indo-U.S. Nuclear Deal: Seeking Synergy in Bilateralism (New Delhi: Routledge, 2009).
- "India 2024: Policy Priorities for a New Government," Brookings India, 2019
- "India-U.S. Relations in Transition," Brookings India, 2016
- "A Transatlantic Pakistan Policy," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2014
- "China and India: New Actors in the Southern Atlantic," German Marshall Fund of the United States, 2012.
- "Deepening Democracy through Diversity: Improving Coordination with India and Non-Western Democracies," Democracy and Disorder Series, Brookings Institution, 2019
- "India Rising: Soft Power and the World's Largest Democracy," in Soft Power 30, 2018
- "The United States and India: Forging an Indespensible Democratic Partnership," Center for American Progress, 2018
- "Survey on America's Role in the Indo-Pacific," Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Uneasy Triangle: India's Evolving Relations with the United States and China," in Realising the Indo-Pacific: Tasks for India's Regional Integration, Perth U.S.-Asia Centre, 2017
- "Indian Ocean Region: A Pivot for India's Growth," Indian Ocean Conference, 2016
- "India's Military Diplomacy," in Defence Primer: India at 75, Observer Research Foundation, 2016
- "India & South Korea: The Promise of Partnership," Korea Economic Institute, 2012